As a part of Volvo’s design team (which spans across several countries and many timezones), I worked on two main projects over the duration of a year: Care by Volvo, and the .Com redesign.
This project gave me many first experiences: the opportunity to help build a new design system; leading my own workstream; participating in user testing; and designing for flexibility and scalability.
Volvo’s car subscription service is used by thousands of drivers in countries including the USA, Norway, Sweden, and Germany. I helped design an automatic credit check experience as part of the CbV checkout flow, which helped to increase conversion rate by X%. Additionally, I had a hand in maturing the CbV mobile app from its early stages to become more seamless and similar to the web experience.
I was part of a larger effort to redesign the volvocars.com website from the ground up and contributed to the following alongside the design team and multiple product teams:
The biggest initiative in this project was creating a new landing page. With a new look and feel, we wanted to showcase Volvo Recharge, a new line of electric and hybrid cars, while also giving visitors a way to view other powertrain offerings (i.e. gas vehicles). And of course working on such a high traffic page required extensive cross-functional collaboration between design and other departments within the Volvo organization.
I supported the principal designer in this effort to create an integral feature to the Volvo Cars website, the configurator. The car configurator gives visitors to the site an interactive opportunity to explore Volvo’s latest car models and customization options.
To optimize for the mobile experience, we designed the configurator as a one page layout that would snap to the next section on scroll. As with the other pages on the website, the design of the configurator needed to accommodate many languages. But on top of that, we had to create a design that would hold up against market-specific offerings. For example, one model might have 3 trim options in the US but 5 trim options plus additional upgrade options in Germany.
Additionally, another challenge in this project was that we did not have an established design system to work from as our new design system was being created in parallel workflow.
As the principal designer for this effort, my task was to design the Summary screen the user sees after configuring a car. This summary needs to include an overview of their selections along with a sticker sheet of all the car features, pricing options (which vary by market), and nearby test drive suggestions.
To solve for the challenge that different markets have distinct offerings, I conducted an audit across Volvo’s primary markets for their primary, secondary, and tertiary CTAs; what pricing options were available; and catalogued any edge cases (spreadsheet below). I used this to determine which CTAs were most common across a majority of the markets, and to ensure my design would be flexible to accommodate for all use cases.
I also created a Pricing Module Template for the development team to help guide them in how prices, labels, CTAs, and disclaimers should be displayed depending on market variations.
Challenges I tackled on this page included determining hierarchy of information on the page; how to group, present, and allow edits to the user’s selections; and consideration of various purchase paths for each market.
I designed a preliminary Summary screen to go into user testing. To prepare for this, I wrote a user research testing script. Volvo’s internal research team conducted the testing, and from their presentation, I compiled findings and derived problem statements to guide my next iteration of the design.
Designing for an international brand came with its own unique set of challenges. As Volvo has 120+ markets and 80+ languages, I learned the importance of thorough design documentation and gained great experience designing with flexibility as a priority. Furthermore, working with my own product team was a wonderful collaborative experience that taught me how to be a better team player as I learned how best to communicate my designs and iterate given potential business or technical limitations.